Part of the video production process is often an interview with the business owner. I love this because I get chance to discover the story behind the business – why these people do what they do. And no matter what the business is – whether it’s a financial management company or a beauty salon, there’s always a motivating force and it’s understanding that “raison d’être” that helps potential clients buy in to what that business offers. And anyway, this is what makes the video interesting.
So here are some questions I regularly ask:
- Describe your business and what you offer.
- Why do clients come to you?
- What’s unique about what you offer?
- What is it about your work that really motivates you?
- What is most rewarding?
- What are the challenges?
- Any anecdotal stories about someone who you’ve helped?
- What difference did your service make to them?
- Any funny moments?
- What’s most important to you when dealing with clients?
- What advice would you give to someone looking for your kind of service?
A little bit of emotion and humour help. Show you’re human and viewers will connect. The ultimate goal is to get a response and some insight into your work and vision will prompt that interaction.
Look out for my next article on “when an interview gets really interesting”!